Registrations, Licenses, and Permits

Registration of Assumed Business Name (DBA)

  • Sole Proprietorships and General Partnerships must be registered with the County Clerk’s office, if the name of the business is any name other than that of the owner.
  • Professional Service Corporations (click here for legal definition) must be registered with the County Clerk’s office, if the corporation is doing business under a name different than its legal name. For example, if “Smith and Jones, P.C.” does business as “Smith and Jones Engineers,” that name must be registered.
  • Corporations and Limited Partnerships file with the Illinois Secretary of State,  Department of Business Services, 328 Howlett Bldg, Springfield, IL  62756; Corporations – (217)782-7880; Limited Partnerships – (217)785-8960.  
  • Knox County does not issue general permits or licenses to operate a business.  Contact the city or village in which the business is located for local licensing requirements.

TO apply for a D/B/A

  • You must first fill out on application. Click here to download the Assumed Business License Application.  
  • According to state statute, the assumed name is to be published three times in a newspaper for three weeks. You may publish in The Register-Mail only at this time.  
  • There is a fee for this service. Acceptable methods of payment are cash, checks, or a money order. The charge for the fee and publication in the newspaper is $43.00 for publication in The Register Mail.  
  • We will accept your application and payment at the Office of the Knox County Clerk or you may mail it to the Office of the Knox County Clerk, 200 S. Cherry St., Galesburg, IL 61401.  
  • Upon publication, the paper will send our office the original proof of publication. After receiving this proof of publication, our office will send you a certificate of ownership.   
  • Click here for complete text of the Assumed Business Name Act or here for a summary.  
  • If you need to cease your business that has been registered in Knox County, please complete this Withdrawal DBA Form and submit with payment to the Office of the Knox County Clerk.

Registration of Notary Public Commissions

  • Applications are available at the Secretary of State’s Office or you may click here to download one. After downloading and printing the application for a commission as a notary public, please complete and mail the application as instructed by the Secretary of State.
  • The Secretary of State will send the Notary Commission Certificate to the County Clerk.  
  • Upon receipt, our office will notify you that you must register your signature either by coming in to the Office of the Knox County Clerk or by sending your signature through the mail. There is a $8.00 fee if you elect to sign in person or a $15.00 fee if you send it through the mail. Should you elect to send in your signature, mail it to the Office of the Knox County Clerk, 200 S. Cherry St., Galesburg, IL 61401.  
  • You will receive your certificate when you come in or it will be mailed to you if you elect to send in your signature    

Statements of Economic Interests

Beginning January 1, 1994, persons required to file a Statement of Economic Interests include all elected and appointed officials and local government employees who have authority to authorize the expenditure of public funds, execute contracts and issue licenses and permits.

  • The Illinois Attorney General has ruled that lists of required filers must be certified by the local unit of government to the County Clerk for the county where the local unit of government’s principal office is located.  
  • All candidates seeking public office must file a current Statement of Economic Interests with the County Clerk in the same year they file candidate’s petitions and must attach a receipt for such filings with their petitions.
  • Statements filed with the County Clerk are available for examination and copying by the public during normal business hours.  Each person examining a Statement must first complete an inspection form identifying the examiner by name, occupation, address, and telephone number, and listing the date of examination and reason for such examination.  A copy of the inspection form is then sent to the individual whose statement has been examined. 

Click here to download a Statement of Economic Interest Click here for the law concerning the disclosure of economic interests.

Liquor Licenses  

For liquor sold, bartered, transported, delivered, or offered for sale at retail in Knox County only, outside all incorporated city, town and village limits.

  • To apply for a Knox County Liquor License you must be in the unincorporated area of the County and must have proper zoning. If you need clarification on these qualifications for a license, please call the Knox County Zoning Department at 309/345-3830.
  • Please contact the Knox County Clerk’s Office at 309/345-3815 for an Application for License for Sale of Alcoholic Liquors or to receive a copy of the Knox County Liquor Control Ordinance.  
  • In addition to annual licenses, special event licenses for one-day (Class “G”) are also available.   
  • The application will be reviewed by the County Liquor Control Commissioner (County Board Chairman), the Sheriff, and the State’s Attorney.  You will be notified by the County Clerk if the application is approved or denied.  
  • If you are approved, applicant will need to apply for an Illinois State Sales Tax Number at the Department of Revenue on 101 West Jefferson. For more information on the Department of Revenue, click here.   
  • You will then be responsible for obtaining an Illinois State Liquor License. For more information regarding the State of Illinois Liquor Control Commission, click here.  
  • For listing of those establishments that currently hold a liquor license, click here.

Raffle Licenses

For raffles conducted in Knox County only, outside all incorporated city, town and village limits.

  • To be eligible for a raffle license in Knox County, you must be a bona fide charitable, educational, fraternal, labor, religious, or veterans organization that operate without profit to their members and which have been in existence continuously for a period of five years or more.   
  • Click here to download a Knox County Raffle Application. If you are a political organization click here for information on obtaining a State Board of Elections raffle application.  
  • The fee is determined by the annual aggregate retail value of the prize(s) offered:
Annual Aggregate Retail Value of Prizes


Additional Fee for Multiple Licenses

Less than $100 $5.00 $1.00 $1.00
$100 but less than $500 $15.00 $1.25 $5.00
$500 but less than $1,000 $20.00 $2.00 $10.00
$1,000 but less than $10,000 $25.00 $3.00 $30.00
$10,000 or more $25.00 + $0.50
per each $1,000 in excess of $10,000
$5.00 + $1.00 per each $1,000 in excess of $10,000 $100.00 + $10.00 per each $1,000 in excess of $10,000
  • The annual aggregate retail value of all prizes awarded in a single year shall not exceed $50,000 and the retail value of any one prize awarded in a single raffle shall not exceed $50,000.  
  • Entities desiring to hold more than one raffle during a calendar year may apply for annual license; provided no more than 52 such raffles shall be held and no more than 1 raffle per week.  
  • Raffle tickets may only be sold in Knox County.   
  • Your raffle application must be completed in full before the license is issued. The presiding officer and a secretary or raffle manager of the organization must sign the license. The presiding officer must also sign the last page of the application to waive the required bond.  
  • All organizations must abide by the rules and regulations set forth in the Knox County Code. Click Raffle Ordinance to download the rules and regulations.

Fireworks Permits

For supervised public displays in Knox County only, outside all incorporated city, town and village limits.

Where can you get an application?

  • Click the following links for printable applications (all forms  must be completed).
  • The County Clerk’s Office, located at the Knox County Courthouse, 200 S. Cherry St., Galesburg, IL 61401. Hours are 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m., Monday-Friday.
  • Call the County Clerk’s Office at 309/345-3815 to request.

Who may apply?

  • Any group of three or more persons, each of whom is 18 years or older may fill out an application for a display permit.

What information is required on the application?

  • The names, addresses and phone numbers of the individuals sponsoring the display
  • The place, date and time the display will be held
  • The name, address and phone number of the individual who will conduct the display

How much does it cost and when will you receive the permit?

  • A fee of $10.00 per display date must be accompanied with the application
  • Upon approval, the permit will be promptly mailed to the individual authorized to conduct the display

Do you have to have a bond?

  • All applicants are required to sign a $1,000 indemnity bond, which is part of the application. The applicant’s signature must be notarized.

What is the deadline for turning in the application?

  • The application for permit shall be filed in writing with the County Clerk at least 15 days in advance of the date of the display.
  • Action shall be taken on the application within 48 hours after such application is properly made.

Must the site of the fireworks display be inspected?

  • A Site Inspection Report must be completed by the issuing officer or designee.
  • The issuing officer or designee must ensure that the fireworks display is not hazardous to property and will not endanger any person or persons.

Are there any restrictions?

  • No fireworks may legally be discharged, ignited, or exploded at any point in the State of Illinois within 600 feet of any hospital, asylum, or infirmary.

Click here for the Knox County Public Fireworks and Displays Ordinance.